Registering Business Names and Company Names

If you decide to start a business and trade under your own name, there is no need to even register your business name. i.e. If your name is John Smith and you decide to use that as your trading name, there is no legal requirement to register that name.

If, however, you decide to use the name John Smith Television Repairs or John Smith’s Record Bar you will need to register your name with the relevant body in your state or territory. A fee is payable initially, followed by a periodical renewal fee.

You can see if anyone else is already using the name you have chosen by checking the Identical names check at ASIC.  When you have chosen a name that appears to be available you can find out about registering it in your state or territiory from the relevant government agency below.

Australian Capital Territory New South Wales
Northern Territory Queensland
South Australia Tasmania
Victoria Western Australia


Company name
If you want to start a company you have to register your company name with the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC). If you want to trade under a different name, that also has to be registered. You can find more about this from the ASIC website.

small business book | author | order | small business knowledge | cash flow |business planning | small business help
business resources | articles reports | contact us | small business press room | business plan order | home page